Saturday, March 8, 2008

As promised, more shots of the 1911 baseball booklet

Front cover, front-inside ad, back cover ad and back-inside ad.






The above pretty much speak for themselves. I probably should've lit these shots better, but they're pretty easy to read for an almost 100 year-old document. It would be interesting to know the history of where this booklet has been. My grandfather was born in 1908, so he would've turned 3 early in the 1911 baseball season. I've had the booklet for about 30 years. I don't recall asking about it when I was a kid and never thought to before he died in 1998 shortly before he would've turned 90.

I realize that numbers aren't adjusted for inflation, but a million dollars is still a lot of money today. It's kinda funky to think that the major leagues were run in 1910 for the same amount of money that Bo Jackson made in 1990. Or less than 1/15 of what Richie Sexson (who hit .205!) made last year. I hope Sexson has a better 2008 season (except when playing the Red Sox!).

Posted by Picasa

No comments: